Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tired of Waiting for Life To Happen

I have always known that I want to be a mother and that I want to go back to school to be a Nurse Practitioner. My original plan was to apply for Nurse Practitioner school after my first child and hopefully be done before the second. I wasn't really willing to hold off on motherhood to start school, so first goal was baby.

 Life doesn't always go the way we want.

Back in October I realized that I wasn't getting pregnant any time soon. I was very discouraged and was concerned that I was going to go into a depression. I decided that I would no longer wait around for something that may/may not happen, so I started the process to apply to Nurse Practitioner school. I started studying for the GRE and ended up taking it and making the minimum grade needed for the school I was wanting to go to (math is not my strong suit). I work at a teaching hospital that has a Nurse Practitioner program there, so ideally I would go to school where I work. Plus, if you go to school there and work there then they pay for 6 hours a semester (woot!!).
After taking the GRE, I applied to the Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program to my desired school. The deadline for applications weren't until the end of March (I turned mine in in November) so I had a loooooong wait!
Well, the wait is over!
I received an e-mail that told me that I was accepted to the program!! I am very excited but very nervous. I have been out of the swing of school for 4 years now, I hope I can do this!! I will be going part-time and the majority of the program is online so that I can continue to work full time.

Many may wonder how all of this fertility treatment will go with going back to school.

I'd like to think that I am not completely irresponsible.

Even if this cycle works I won't be due until January 2014 so I will be able to get through the first semester of school. Whichever semester the baby is due, I plan to take that semester off. I was told that the school allows you to take a semester off if needed. I know for a fact that many women are pregnant and give birth while in school so I am sure they have a plan in place for such occasions. I will not put my life on hold any longer.

Nothing much to update about this cycle. I am 9dpIUI (9 days post IUI). I haven't peed on any sticks, nor do I plan to until Monday. I have been having some cramps and headaches. If I look into symptoms too much then I will make myself crazy.
My mindset for today? not optimistic. I have a feeling these symptoms are PMS and I'm "ok" with that. This was just our first medicated cycle. The first one is generally just a test to see how my body works so I won't be completely devastated if it is a BFN (big fat negative). Will I be sad? yes...Devastated? no.

2 comments:

  1. New blog stalker here...
    Good for you! Congrats on getting accepted and for moving your life forward! I know I struggle with that too - it's so hard when dealing with IF. You should be proud of yourself! GL with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! I follow you too! GL with your appt on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete